Monday, June 22, 2009

Summer library fun (not)

I have to get this out. We're participating heavily in our library's summer reading program. My girls are young, but I have high expectations for their behavior and my own and I always have.

Today, some people came to give a small performance of a musical that's going on at our local arts center. The event started at 2:30. People poured into the library and sardined themselves onto the step seating in the so-called "auditorium." They need air conditioning in there, because it felt like it was at least 80 and smelled like wet dog. We were at the top, so theoretically we should have been able to scoot back and lean against the wall. Well, no - some people got up from the ledge in front of us and decided to wedge themselves in behind us. Literally, zero room for me to even put my hand behind me and lean back - nothing. No reason whatsoever for them to do that either, except that they wanted the wall. I was already annoyed, and we moved down to where they'd vacated. I put the girls' books behind my back to avoid anyone planting themselves there again.

So the performance began, but people kept streaming in. Five or so minutes, okay. But at least fifteen minutes and more after it started, people were still coming in, walking in front of the performers (who were all in costume in this heat, not paid, and trying very hard), missing several songs. I couldn't believe it. How rude can you get? I'm surprised nobody took a phone call in the middle of someone's solo. On top of that, there were some young toddlers who started to get fussy - okay, I've had young toddlers before, but if you have a kid that's going to get loud how about sitting off to the side with them so you could quietly and discreetly slip out when they get out of control? Don't plant yourself in the middle of everyone.

And then, then behind me someone had a child with no volume control and insatiable questions. Maybe 3 or so - yes, I have had 3 year olds before. I have also had kids with a hard time keeping quiet and wanted to ask a lot of questions. But for Pete's sake, tell the kid to ZIP IT. If they won't, then see above and discreetly slip out. I couldn't hear the lyrics in several songs (which, apparently, were funny) because I had him in my ear yelling questions at his mom who didn't seem to get that he was being loud and rude.

Becca was silent and completely riveted by the performance. Sylvia was silent but kept draping herself all over me. Not good in a packed hot house.

I hate summer.

No comments: